Abu Simbel is a set of two temples near the border of Egypt with Sudan. It was were originally carved out of the
Mountainside during the reign of the pharaoh Ramesses II who reigned for 67 years during the 13th century BC.
Construction of the temple complex started in approximately 1284 BC and lasted for 20 years. Their purpose was to impress Egypt’s southern neighbours, and also to reinforce the status of Egyptian religion in the region. With the passing of time, the temples became covered by sand. Already in the 6th century BC, the sand covered the statues main temple up to their knees. The temple was forgotten until 1813, when Swiss orientalist JL Burckhardt found the top frieze of the main temple.
In the 1960s, the complex was relocated in its entirety on an artificial hill made from domed structure, high above the Aswan Dam reservoir. The relocation of the temple was necessary to avoid being submerged during the creation of Lake Nasser, the massive artificial water reservoir formed after the building of Aswan Dam in the Nile River. Abu Simbelremains as one of Egypt’s top tourist attraction
Read this article in Punjabi:- https://www.desiengine.com.au/punjabi/general-knowledge-10/
Read this article in Hindi:- https://www.desiengine.com.au/hindi/2020/04/04/abu-simbel/